Job Opportunity: February 12, 2019
Full-Time Mandarin Speaking Academic Counselor
Tower Bridge International Education (TBIG) is the premier provider of secondary international student services in the United States. Our mission is to bridge the gaps between opportunity and success within international education. We work to build trust and foster good will among our students, schools, alumni, and local communities. TBIG is a place for innovation, where people with a passion for global education strive to adapt and evolve. We are global citizens, leaders, educators, and pioneers. We appreciate change and welcome open communication to facilitate learning and development.
The Academics Counselor serves as academic advisor for international high school students attending private day schools in the United States. The Academics Counselor provides high-quality academic advising and support to help students to transition to life in a U.S. high school and achieve their educational goals. The position will also act as a liaison between the HQ team in the U.S., local branch and our team in China.
The Academics Counselor works with a portfolio of schools and students, serving as an advisor to students and working closely and collaboratively with both remote and headquarters-based colleagues and stakeholders. The Academics Counselor coordinates with the HQ Academic team and reports directly to the local branch Program Manager.
- Advise students in various academic areas such as subject study, standardized tests, and extracurricular activities. Track and analyze international students’ performance for academic advising, school schedule planning, and college planning. Help students develop and follow a meaningful educational action plan. Assess and evaluate student progress and document student performance and progress.
- Support students in developing in areas such as self-advocacy, proactive initiative, personal responsibility, and problem-solving.
- Conduct research on the U.S. secondary education policies, partner schools’ curriculums, competitions, summer camp, volunteer opportunities, and other available academic opportunities according to international students’ interests. Maintain and be familiar with up-to-date policies for large portfolio of partner high schools. Collect and track partner schools’ data including school contact information and school policies.
- Support and increase student awareness of resources offered by New Oasis, partner high school, and other educational resources. Support and connect students to relevant extra-curricular opportunities inside and outside of their high school. Provide students with accurate and timely information regarding New Oasis and partner school policies, procedures, deadlines, and resources.
- Work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders within New Oasis and our partner schools to promote student success.
- Communicate with the China team, natural parents, and students on admissions, homestay or academic issues via email, phone, or video, and other web-based tools.
- Assess student need; manage tutor and monitor student’s performance progress.
- Assist in the evaluation, assessment, design and implementation of academic advising initiatives including designing academic programs for international students, monitoring international students’ summer activities and providing international students with recommendations.
- Assist with new student orientation tasks including presentation to introduce academic programs to current and prospective students, joining school tours to enhance partnerships, and reviewing prospective student interviews. Assist in the design and delivery of academic webinars or workshops.
- Contribute material for student monthly academic newsletter and other China marketing initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.